Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dad

My father, Craig Dennis Thigpen, passed away on July 13th 2010. I thank him for the memories that he has given me: 

watching Bruce Lee Week with him and my brother... Old English Pizza... my first comic books... introducing me to Doctor Who and Buffy the Vampire Slayer... taking me to see the NBA in it's prime (Magic, Bird and Jordan)... my first NFL game (so what if it was the Falcons?)... teaching me to fight dirty, "helping" us with our school projects... watching him dote on his grandchildren... watching the NCAA tournament and the term "start up the bus"... his catch phrase "the thing about it is"... how proud he looked after my high school graduation... going to Gullifty's... going to Erol's and Movies Unlimited to rent movies for the weekend... the family slide shows with popcorn... the Kappa Bug... going to his office in the PSFS building for the first time... introducing me to Pat Metheny, Miles Davis and John Coltrane... Thursday nights at the supermarket... the horrible video and the "Is this live?" comment... 

I will cherish these memories and many more for the rest of my life. I hope that I made him proud of me, as I was always proud of him. I just wish I had the chance to tell him that, and that I loved him, as I don't think I have told him enough. I know that he knew it, but I wish I got to say it just once more.

No comments: