Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Return, Just In Time for Summer...

First, I would like to say thank you to the guys over at From the Boss's Desk. Reading their excellent blog has prompted me to get off my ass and post something. If you are into film and video games, I urge you to give their blog a look. 

As the summer movie season has begun, please allow me to give you a brief rundown on the films that I am most excited about, and one movie that I saw last night.

Thor:  I have to say that is was pretty friggin' good. The hammer Mjolnir was tossed, Frost Giants were smashed, Loki was tricksy, Sif was hot and Volstagg ate. The entire cast did an excellent job, there was the now traditional after credits teaser and even a cameo appearance by another Avenger. This picture was a good start to the summer season.

Green Lantern: Director Martin Campbell saved James Bond, and I think that he will perform magic with Green Lantern. While this will be another one of those origin movies, the trailer has shown a lot of things that hint they have a grander plan for any future films if this thing franchises out. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel, because I would love to see some of the more recent Lantern stories on the big screen.

X-Men - First Class: I originally hated the idea of this movie. The last couple of X-Films were god awful, and I didn't think this was going to be any better.  But thanks to Layer Cake, Stardust and Kick-Ass, director Matthew Vaughn has earned the benefit of the doubt. The trailers have been better than I have expected, and January Jones is playing Emma Frost. Plus there is Kevin Bacon! An X-Men movie with Kevin Bacon!! If that doesn't say summer movie fun, I don't know what does.

Super 8: I have no idea what the hell is really going on in that movie, but it looks like there is a monster/alien that will be killing folks. Good enough for me. Plus J.J. Abrams has shown me that he is better than the crap fest that was every season of Alias after the second one and that Lost abomination.

Captain America - The First Avenger: Hugo Weaving is playing the Red Skull.  If Pee-Wee Herman were playing Cap, as long as Weaving is the Skull the studio would still have my $10.

Hangover II: I that lightning can strike twice.  The first one was hysterical, but to avoid disappointment, I am keeping my expectations in check.

Transformers - Dark of the Moon: The first Transformers movie was fun, the second one... not so much. The recent trailer looks to have the franchise back on track and if this is the final film (at least directed by Michael Bay) then it appears that things will end on a high note.

Cowboys and Aliens: How can anyone not want to see this? The trailer looks amazing, Harrison Ford looks like he's the bad guy, and how in the hell do cowboys beat aliens in the first place? I have no familiarity to the comic book, graphic novel or whatever that the movie is based on, and have stayed away from it on purpose. I am actually going into the film blind, and could not be happier.

No comments: