Thursday, March 8, 2012

5 Simple Reasons on Why I Will Miss Alison and the other thing…


One of my co-workers will be leaving to continue her education, and have decided to list the reasons why I will miss her. Mostly, this was an exercise to see if I was capable of things like sentiment and compassion…. you will have to be the judge on that, as I don’t think that I am capable of those emotions, at least not traditionally. Oh, and there is also this other thing.

She has a smile that is bright and genuine… it’s terrible. Her smile is like the sun, and it burns my evil soul, but reminds me that I am still human.

She laughs at many of my antics with a mixture of amusement and contempt. 90% of the time I know that I am on the razor’s edge, and that keeps me honest.

She has always accepted my gifts with equal parts gratitude and terror*; she was happy to get the gifts and afraid what may be coming next. I loved that.

For the better part of working with her, I thought she hated me. While she politely denied my accusation, I still think I was on to something. I like to believe that her hatred of me had some small part in the decision she made to leave and continue her studies.  

She is an amazing woman. I will miss working with her and I wish her the best. I hope that when she reaches the top, she still will take the time to wave hello.

*the gifts in question were lunch, a stuffed dog and a fruit basket. That’s not too terrible, right?

No comments: